Saturday, January 10, 2009

Making much of muffins

When Jill was younger (around  elementary-school age) she used to bake muffins, which my Dad would take to work in basket. He would put them in the kitchen at work with a sign, "Jill's Muffins - $1) and a cup for collecting money. She made a tidy profit ( for a 9 year-old) and my Mom bought her a Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library Muffins & Quick Breads cookbook so she could expand her repretoire.

Three years ago when Jill and I moved into together into our very first grown-up New York apartment, my mother sent us assorted hand-me down kitchen wares (like the crockpot and electric skillet), including the William-Sonoma Muffins cookbook. Jesse is a big fan of muffins (as am I), and so I try to whip up a batch every once in while as a treat. Last week I made Chili-Corn Muffins using a jar of Santa Fe Ole Green Chile Sauce that Jesse's mom had sent us earlier this fall in a care package.

Chili-Corn Muffins

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sale
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 cup sour cream (I used plain greek yogurt)
2 eggs
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup diced, peeled green chilies
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Butter standard muffin tins (I use a silicone muffin pan, which I swear by).

In a large bowl stir and toss together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chili powder. Set aside. In a medium bowl whisk together the sour cream, eggs and melted butter until smooth. Stir in the chilies and cheese. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.

Spoon into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool in the tins for 3 minutes, then remove.

Makes about 12 standard muffins.

We ate them with a yummy Squash and White Bean Soup recipe from Real Simple for a homey Sunday night supper.

1 comment:

FeministUndercover said...

actually the sign said "Jill's Gourmet Muffins"