Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cheese in the news

There are a number of reasons I never liked our former president, G.W. Bush. But the story "U.S. In Long-Running Trade Dispute With EU in yesterday's" All Things Considered program on NPR has given me yet another to add to the list. Just before leaving office, Bush increased tariffs by 300% on Roquefort cheese from France in retaliation against the E.U. ban on hormone-treated beef.

I'm not a big fan of hormone-treated anything, and I have nothing against cheese-eating surrender monkeys. So naturally I'm not a big fan of the tariff, never mind the fact that I prefer Stilton.

It's been a busy first week for President Obama as he has taken on foreign policy and diplomacy, economic recovery and stimulus, torture and Guantanamo Bay. But I have to admit that for my sake, and for cheese-eaters everywhere, I hope blue cheese rates some space on his to-do list so he can overturn Bush's war on French cheese soon.

No comments: