Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Jimmy's No. 43 No. 1 fan

Sheep milk cheese: Frere Fumont, smoked firm cheese
Sixpoint Craft Ale: Hop Obama and Brownstone

Disclaimer: Despite the fact that I cried all the way through dinner there last Saturday (don't ask; it's a long, hormonal story), I am a big fan of Jimmy's No. 43.

So just in case you were also at Jimmy's No. 43 last Saturday night around 11 p.m., I would like to set the record straight: I wasn't crying about the food. And even though I was crying into my beer, I definitely wasn't crying about the beer.

In fact, Jesse and I headed out to Jimmy's No. 43 on Saturday because of a New York Times article on Brooklyn beers we read earlier in the week. We're both big fans of Sixpoint Craft Ales and the article whetted our appetite.

Jesse likes hoppy beers, so he ordered the Hop Obama. But we both like cask ales, so I took one for the team and had the Brownstone. The Hop Obama was very smooth; so smooth that I even liked it, which is impressive because I don't usually like beers with a lot of hops. The Brownstone was also really good and lacked the bitterness that's common to American brown ales.

For dinner, we both had the seared salmon with carrots and cider braised cabbage, which is the perfect autumnal comfort food. So often "comfort food" means "big and heavy," like meatloaf or macaroni and cheese. The salmon was unlike either, but it was comforting in that it seemed like the perfect meal to curl up with in front of a fire on a stormy afternoon or evening.

While we were waiting for our food we shared a cheese plate of
Frere Fumont. The sheep's milk cheese was mellow and creamy, with the rind providing a rich, smoky flavor. Perfect for snacking on between sobbing and reassuring your boyfriend that you haven't lost your everlovin' mind.

Jimmy's No. 43
Open 7 days, 12 noon - 2am (till 4am on weekends)
Kitchen 5:30pm - 12 midnight

Downstairs at 43 East 7th Street (between 2nd and 3rd Avenue)
(212) 982-3006
Map

1 comment:

tastemaker said...

thanks no.1 fan.
from the folks at jimmy's no.43!!do you mind if we post your thoughts on our blog?